Theses/Dissertations from 2017
Gracey, Kellen J. (2017), The macro polity and public opinion in religious context
Jin, Shuai (2017), Politics of economic inequality in China: government propaganda and public opinion
Lee, Kyu Young (2017), Political clout of government bondholders: how government bondholders expect and affect states’ conflictual behaviors
Maltby, Elizabeth (2017), The political origins of racial and ethnic inequality
Matthews, Abigail Anne (2017), Connected courts: the diffusion of precedent across state supreme courts
Ritter, Michael James (2017), Accessible electoral systems: state reform laws, election administration, and voter turnout
Theses/Dissertations from 2015
Kim, Dongkyu (2015), Foreign direct investment under globalization dilemma: economic insecurity, tax competition, and funding for social welfare
Kim, Mi-son (2015), Parties without brand names: the causes and consequences of party relabeling
Kreitzer, Rebecca Jane (2015), Policy making at the margins: the modern politics of abortion
Schilling, Emily Ursula (2015), Reassessing legislative relationships: capturing interdependence in legislative position taking and votes
Sung, Kieun (2015), A study on rebel group dynamics and third party intervention
Thomas, Jason John (2015), Party duration : examining the effects of incumbent party tenure on election outcomes
Theses/Dissertations from 2013
Altema McNeely, Natasha Ernst (2013), Take Two on Race and Politics: Reexamining the Origins and Consequences of Electoral Structures in American Cities
Choudhury, Zahidul Arefin (2013), Politics of natural disaster : how governments maintain legitimacy in the wake of major disasters, 1990-2010
Chyzh, Olga (2013), Tell me who your friends are: an endogenous model of international trade network formation and effect on domestic political outcomes
Frost, Amanda Marie (2013), The American Donor: an Exploration of the Modern Individual Donor
Hamilton, Allison Joy (2013), Competing pathways of the Internet & new media's influence on women political candidates
Nieman, Mark David (2013), The return on social bonds: the effect of social contracts on international conflict and economics
Willardson, Spencer L. (2013), Under the influence Of arms: the foreign policy causes and consequences of arms transfers
Theses/Dissertations from 2012
Fielder, James Douglas (2012), Dissent in digital: the Internet and dissent in authoritarian states
Franko, William Walter (2012), The policy consequences of unequal participation
Greene, Zachary David (2012), Motivating parliament : the policy consequences of party strategy
Kim, Sang Ki (2012), Third-party intervention in civil wars: motivation, war outcomes, and post-war development
Kim, Sung Woo (2012), System polarities and alliance politics
Lee, Jae Mook (2012), The political consequences of elite and mass polarization
Lefler, Vanessa Ann (2012), Bargaining for peace? Strategic forum selection in interstate conflict management
Martini, Nicholas Fred (2012), The role of ideology in foreign policy attitude formation
Park, Hyeon Seok (2012), Partisan politics and corporate tax competition for foreign investment
Theses/Dissertations from 2011
Buttorff, Gail Jeanne (2011), Legitimacy and the politics of opposition in the Middle East and North Africa
Cohen, Alexander H. (2011), Climate, weather, and political behavior
Darr, Benjamin Joseph (2011), Nationalism and state legitimation in contemporary China
Kim, Youngwan (2011), The Unveiled power of NGOs: how NGOs influence states' foreign policy behaviors
McGrath, Robert Joseph (2011), Strategic oversight and the institutional determinants of legislative policy control
Theses/Dissertations from 2010
Bowen, Daniel Christopher (2010), District characteristics and the representational relationship
Clark, Christopher Jude (2010), Unpacking descriptive representation: examining race and electoral representation in the American states
Day, Jonathan Paul (2010), The strategy of presidential campaigns
Knoll, Benjamin Richard (2010), Understanding the "New Nativism": causes and consequences for immigration policy attitudes in the United States
Licht, Amanda Abigail (2010), Private incentives, public outcomes: the role of target political incentives in the success of foreign policy
Min, Tae Eun (2010), Panethnicity among Asian Americans and Latinos: panethnicity as both a dependent variable and independent variable
Nemeth, Stephen Charles (2010), A rationalist explanation of terrorist targeting
Rydberg, James Allen (2010), Bypassing the legislature: how direct democracy affects substantive and symbolic representation
Below are the titles of dissertations completed by last year's finalists. For older examples, please click on the appropriate year in the list at the end of the page.
Dissertations of Finalists 2017
- Why does Pakistan claim Kashmir? An International Relations Theories Approach.
- Adapting to the present and mitigating the future: An analysis of the status development of environmental refugees in the international legal system.
- The beginning of the end. The 1950s and 1960s: A study of the contradictions and fundamental failings in Soviet economic planning.
- Public participation and informality in the politics of community gardening: A comparative study of Berlin and Paris.
- Anger and expectation.
- The tabloidization of terrorism news: A universal phenomenon? A test of François Debrix's theory of tabloid terror on French televised news after the November 2015 Paris attacks.
- Democracy "Damned": An investigation into the rise and fall of the Sivens Occupation.
- Sadness transmission across different modalities: Implications for emotional evocation and memory through narrative.
- Refugee representation in Slovakia: A discourse analysis in light of the European refugee crisis.
- She flies, she runs, she conquers. Empowered women in film, creating an identity during the German reunification.
- "A sea of men": Gender and discursive representation of the Calais camp.
- Is there room for forgiveness in legal punishment?
- What determines the effect of foreign direct investment on labour productivity and capital productivity?
- The true meaning behind "Made in China": A not so silky road to Chinese labour law enforcement.
- The promise and paradox of a queer haven: A homonationalist analysis of LGB asylum discourses in the UK.
- Does female participation in armed groups help explain variation in sexual violence? Analysing sexual violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- The Right of Reservation in the EEA Agreement: An analysis of why Norway has never reserved itself against EU legislation the country is obliged to adopt under the EEA Agreement.
- Compensation strategies against child labour in Cambodia. An interpretivist’s insight into parents’ experience and motivations.
- Does microfinance influence attitudes towards gender equality in Poland?
- Constructivism revisited: A critical look at Russian advancements on the Crimean Peninsula.
- A case for the hybrid mediator: Conflict resolution in Mindanao.
- The heart of Europe? Patočka's conception of Czech identity.
- Two comedies - one humanity.
- Why did the Oslo Peace Accords fail? An analysis of the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict 1993-2005.
- Automation and the German welfare state: An assessment of policy responses.
- Human rights vs. religious and cultural rights in the elective circumcision of minors.
- How do emotions work? A study of William Lyons' causal-evaluative theory.
- "I do not agree to these Terms": Challenging the notice and consent approach to data protection in the Big Data era.
- How effective was the European Union as a mediator in Israel-Palestine? The case of Operation Protective Edge.
- "Another world is possible": Building the Larzac movement 1971-81.
- Making sense of 'Printemps Républicain': The emergence of a new political actor movement.
- The news-media as a strategic actor in the aid allocation framework: How does the British print news-media frame public and governmental discourse of Official Development Assistance?
- Regional cooperation: A flawed solution to transnational terrorism? The case of ECOWAS and UEMOA in West Africa.
- Communitarian-liberal debate through the spectacles of agonism.
- Ethnic lifelines. How ethnic ties can secure loyalty of the armed forces during mass uprisings in authoritarian states.
- Do European structural and investment funds truly contribute to economic development? A cross-regional case study of Slovakia.
- The Public Sphere of Jürgen Habermas: The concept and its limitations. A critical study of the theory of the public sphere and its normative status within the context of the mass media.
- Civil society activism and democratic accountability in Trinidad and Tobago: The Case of Section 34.
- What does it take to be a successful mediator? A study based on the Ukraine crisis.