10 Descriptive Essay Topic Ideas For University Students
Descriptive essays are usually considered one of the easiest essays for students to write. Everyone possesses the skill to describe an event, emotion, experience, person, place, or object in vivid detail. It is often a favorite of students because they have complete creative freedom in getting their audience fully immersed with the words on the page.
Use the most elaborate and vividly colorful language possible when writing a descriptive essay. Use your senses as well to describe how things smell, feel, look, taste, and sound. Think about using your emotions as well. Try to make the reader feel exactly what you are. Keeping these points in mind while you are writing, here are 10 great descriptive essay topics for university students:
- The scene of an accident: Consider how the accident may have happened, what you witnessed, and who was there to help.
- A dream vacation: Since you have never been there, this will all be from your imagination anyway. Think about including how the air smells, your surroundings (ocean, bustling city, cascading mountains, etc.), and how you feel to be there.
- A life altering experience: This doesn't have to be something sad, it could be the day you got married, when your little sister was born, or how you reacted to 9-11.
- The bathroom at a highway truck stop: You never know what can be found in a truck stop restroom. Write about everything you see, smell, and hear.
- Life in a big city: Discuss how quickly everything moves, how there never seems to be time to just enjoy the day, and mention the enormous buildings everywhere.
- The emergency room at your local hospital: What do you see when you walk into the ER? Are nurses and doctors frantically rushing here and there? Are adults screaming and children crying?
- An inspiring view: What makes this view inspiring? What can you see? How do you feel?
- The first day of university: What was it like when you first stepped foot on campus? Did you get lost? Were other students friendly?
- The worst day of your life: This does not have to be sad either. It can simply be a series of unfortunate events that all culminate in you having a horrible day.
- Getting lost in a new city: How did you get lost? How did you get found? Were you scared or excited?
What Is a Descriptive Essay?
A descriptive essay is a type of essay which aims at helping you illustrate something to your reader in a way that they can see, feel, or hear what you are talking about.
In this assignment, the student-writer recreates a scene, an image, or a picture of something. It requires them to describe something in a visual manner so that the reader (in most cases, one’s professor) can easily visualize it as they read.
If you are looking for descriptive essay examples here is a great one below.
DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY EXAMPLE
It is an exercise in the student-writer’s skill of using specific language, their ability to perceive, name and describe every major element of an image; the student-writer also names the many objects that comprise an image, which is a very crucial part of the writing process for a descriptive essay.
A reader should be able to read a descriptive essay and imagine the described image in its entirety. The reader should ultimately be able to see the described image as if they were looking at a painting or a photograph for the first time.
(Note: The following is a list of 50 topics that, categorized by subjects, can be used to help guide the student writing a descriptive essay. In most cases, a descriptive essay assignment is given in English composition and creative writing courses; however, there are always exceptions.) If you prefer to save your time and ensure perfect result, we suggest you to try our essay writing service in UK.
50 Descriptive Essay Topics
- A house at the base of a mountain, or near a body of water
- The inside of a picturesque restaurant, building or room
- The outside of a sprawling cathedral
- A park in the middle of the day
- One’s actual house or apartment complex
- A cemetery at midnight
- A waiting room at a doctor’s office or hospital
- One’s dream house
- A garden or a flowerbed of colorful flowers or plants or trees
- A street that is illuminated at night by the streetlights
- A beautiful (or horrid) landscape
- A place where a natural disaster has occurred
- A favorite restaurant, hangout spot or personal retreat
- A scene of an accident or crime
- A place visited as a child, teen or young adult
- An art exhibit or museum
- A school or college campus
- The neighborhood in which the student-writer grew up
- An inspiring view
- Children playing during a hot summer’s day
- A priest during a sermon or leading a prayer or invocation
- A president, political figure or leader
- A historic figure
- A celebrity
- A family member
- A best friend
- A mystical creature
- A character from a book or film or TV show
- A boss
- A professor
- A musical instrument – a trumpet, a guitar or a piano, for example – and its surroundings
- A vehicle, a car, a train, city bus
- An article of furniture
- A treasured belonging
- A plate of vibrantly colored or uniquely arranged food
- A work of art, whether a painting or abstract sculpture, etc.
- A piece of jewelry or a collection of jewelry
- A vase of flowers
- The inside of a garage or attic
- A photograph
- A bicycle, motorcycle, skateboard, surfboard, etc.
- A costume or an article of clothing
- The cover of a book, an album, a movie or DVD
- An animal, whether a domestic pet, a wild animal, or one in captivity (like a zoo or aquarium)
- A sunrise or a sunset
- The view of an ocean or beach
- A childhood memory, trip, experience, a special moment
- A wedding, funeral, party or celebration
- A memorable birthday
- A sporting event
HOW TO WRITE A DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY
In case you need help with writing your descriptive essay contact our support team and we will gladly help you. Essay writing is in our name, and believe us – our writers are best in this, they really know what they do. Descriptive essay writing rarely requires research, it’s more about training eloquence of speech of writing, and our writing experts will be able to not only meet your expectations but will exceed, providing a quality custom written piece. Just place an order and our professionals will write a winning paper fro you.